Organic Apoteke is committed to an environmentally conscious and sustainable lifestyle. Eating Vegan is one way to achieve this.
These Vegan Berry Truffles are nutritious, delicious and make a wonderful holiday gift. Raw cacao powder is rich in anti-oxidants and known to help overcome the winter blues. Maca is a plant native to Peru that has traditionally been used to improve circulation, stamina and strength. Research studies show that maca improves libido too. Hence these truffles are not just a delicious Christmas treat but would be wonderful for sharing on Valentines day too.
Vegan Berry Truffle Recipe
- 1 Cup pitted dates soaked overnight
- 2 cups organic raw cacao powder
- 1 cup organic maca powder
- 2 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen) – (We used fresh currents, blueberries, raspberries and mulberries)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons organic Agave Syrup (organic raw honey may also be used). Can use more sweetener if you want a sweeter truffle. We like ours bitter.
- 1/4 cup organic cacao nibs
For rolling truffles
- 2 Tablespoons organic raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- Blend soaked dates into a smooth paste.
- Add powdered cinnamon to berries.
- Put berries into a thick based pot and cook for 2/3 minutes until berries are warmed through. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Add coconut oil and dates. Mix well. When coconut oil is melted and mixed in then remove pot from heat.
- Mix in cacoa + maca powders and honey.
- Add cacao nibs and mix to distribute nibs evenly. Taste the mix – we like a bitter dark truffle – but if you need it sweeter then add more agave syrup or honey until you are satisfied with sweetness.
- Put mixture into fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge. Roll into bite sized truffle balls and coat in cacao & cinnamon powder mix to prevent truffles from sticking together. Can use freeze dried raspberries to decorate.
- Enjoy and share the Love!